ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to: to accurately and efficiently register patients for diagnostic testing, ambulatory surgery, outpatient procedures, in-house admission, and/or treatment in the emergency department.
1. Register each patient accurately, courteously and timely
1.1 Greets patients and visitors promptly upon arrival
1.2 Obtains correct and complete information from patient/guarantor regarding both demographic and insurance information.
1.3 Enters information into AS400 system accurately
1.4 Makes financial folder for every patient.
1.5 Obtain legible copies of insurance cards (front and back).
1.6 Signature are obtained
1.7 Insurance claim forms are obtained, and errors are within threshold.
1.8 Program codes are entered within error threshold
1.9 Med-key cards are issued.
1.10 Work Comp information is entered accurately
2. Insures timely patient arrival at appropriate treatment area
2.1 Ancillary departments are made aware of patient’s arrival
2.2 Patients are transported to appropriate area
3. Consistently pursuing payment for services and initiating collection process
3.1 Delicately collects money according to Hospital Policy
3.2 handles cash appropriately
3.3 Protects the accountability of hospital cash
3.4 Courteously assists in the collection of money from uninsured patients.
3.5 Is accurate with the recording of payments
4. Screens patient folders for accuracy and make any needed corrections before sending them to the business office.
4.1 Patient folders are accurate
4.2 Information in computer system is accurate.
4.3 Displays problem solving skills
4.4 Verifies Medicaid eligibility
4.5 Insures accuracy of information
4.6 Program codes are used correctly
5. Acts as extension of business office after regular business hours and on weekends and holidays
5.1 Inpatients are admitted correctly
5.2 Patient transfers are performed correctly
5.3 Patient discharges are performed correctly
5.4 Admissions log is maintained
5.5 Administers cath schedule after normal business hours.
5.6 Performs bed assignment when necessary
5.7 Performs switchboard duties as required.
6. Performs other duties within business office as needed for efficient and continuous operation as directed by the Admitting Supervisor and/or Business Office Manager
6.1 Verifies insurance coverage
6.2 Works closely with Utilization Review department for
6.3 Provides Physician office staff with information as requested.
6.4 Helps with outpatient scheduling as needed.
6.5 Helps with PBX as needed.
7. Adheres to and follows the principles of hospital’s Quality Customer Relations Program
7.1 Promotes quality guest relations
7.2 Creates a positive impression through effective use of telephone skills
7.3 Creates a supportive climate for customers
7.4 Promotes therapeutic interaction with customers
8. Demonstrates professionalism, conscientiousness, and responsibility as exhibited by attendance at work in accordance with work schedule and punctuality in arriving to work at scheduled time.
8.1 Works days and hours per established schedule in order to ensure department is effectively staffed.
8.2 Reports to work on time per established schedule to ensure department is effectively staffed.
8.3 Does the employee demonstrate an understanding of and adherence to HMA’s Compliance and Ethics Program.
SUB SECTION STANDARDS TOTAL:
IX. Philosophy, Mission & Values Accountability
9. Shares responsibility as a team member in developing and maintaining a supportive work environment.
9.1 Develops positive relationships with those whom we serve, ensuring privacy, confidentiality, and individual dignity at all times.
9.2 Meets tensions and resolves conflicts in constructive manner leading towards reconciliation.
9.3 Understands and supports the hospital’s philosophy to treat everyone with special concern.
9.4 Reports improper, unjust, or unethical situations to appropriate leadership.
X. Customer Service
10 Is a resource and positive role model for others, demonstrating willingness to teach and share knowledge with other departments/personnel.
10.1 Consults and works collaboratively with all staff.
10.2 Demonstrates support of AIDET service principles in daily interactions. Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank-you
XI. Safety/Patient Safety
11. Adheres to infection control/universal precaution standards.
11.1 Familiar with and adheres to established guidelines of regulatory agencies.
11.2 Intervenes with proper technique and procedure to maintain a safe environment.
11.3 Demonstrates compliance with National Safety Goals
11.4Completes mandatory education (annual or otherwise) requirements (i.e., fire safety, HIPPA, Compliance, etc…). (Rated either 5 or 1)
11.5 Maintains required certification (i.e., CPR, ACLS) if applicable. (Rated either 5 or 1)
12. Effectively utilizes verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and communicate effectively.
12.1 Keeps manager informed of department based needs.
12.2 Understands cultural diversity and demonstrates an understanding of the value of all members of the healthcare team.
12.3 Ability to take action and get things done independently. Assumes responsibility promptly and effectively. Identifies the issue, develops steps and participates as needed to resolve the issue.
12.4 Demonstrates tact when dealing with patients, colleagues and the public
12.5 Demonstrates ability to address issues and find a solution while at the same time achieving consensus with the individuals involved.
12.6 Adheres to the proper “chain of command” within the organization. (Rated either 5 or 1)
XIII. Information Management/HIPAA
13. Maintains confidentiality required in patient and peer relationships in the hospital community as relevant to position.
13.1 Knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of patient medical information.
13.2 Demonstrates skills and accuracy in collecting and inputting data into hospital computer system as relevant to position.
14. Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position, knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
14.1 Diagnosis equipment problems, repairs or seeks out someone to repair.
14.2 Consistently inform appropriate person of problems encounter with repairs or calibration of equipment